I'll kick your bot!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: I'll kick your bot!

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 22:30

gorboth wrote:What OgreToyBoy is stating is pretty important, but I am not sure what to do about it. He is stating that all you have to do to not get punished is be reasonably attentive and respond if a wizard asks you to confirm you are watching the screen. However, all the meanwhile you can let your scripts run and basically be a bot that wakes up only for wizards, but continues to do exactly what we all hate about bots for all other intents and purposes.

The issue for me as an Administrator is that it is not possible to actually police and enforce the use of scripts. What we could do is try to isolate the actual issues we have with botting and try to make these things impossible. For example:

Stealing kills is a big problem. So what if we introduced a mechanic that once an npc is attacked, it cannot be attacked while it remains in combat by anyone other than the player who started the fight or anyone on their team. It might look like this:

Code: Select all

A large open field in the Shire. You see mountains in the west and a stream to the north.

Obvious exits: west, north, east.
A lanky wolf and Draugor are fighting eachother.

> kill wolf
The wolf is already in combat with Draugor, so you'll have to wait to see if you're welcome to join in.
Draugor signals for you to join in the fight.
You attack the lanky wolf!
Draugor would see:

Code: Select all

The lanky wolf swipes at your knee with its right claw, but misses.
You batter the lanky wolf with your maul.
Gorboth arrives.
The lanky wolf snaps at your head with its jaws, but misses.
Gorboth looks like he wants to join the fight. You can <combatshare> to allow this.
> combatshare gorboth
You signal for Gorboth to join in the fight.
Gorboth attacks the lanky wolf!
Thoughts? Issues?

G.
Could be a good plan but what would that do? Make me a wizard and gimme the authority to do bot checks, I will not infect the game with my horrible code, it works but... thats about it. I would only be on as a botbuster, I would ofcourse do this BEFORE I logged draugor on, for an hour or two, depending on how many players are awake ofc, the time might vary.

The problem is that automated things are always counterable in one way or another on an automatic way. I'd not use the standard "blabla tells you" thingie, cant remember the command now but theres a way to just make the text appear without the "blabla tells you" meaning it will be hard to counter, and express it in different ways and actually start a conversation, ofcourse do it in LARGE letters so they dont bitch about not seeing it.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 28 Aug 2012 22:34

Gorboth - I completely agree with you on that one, however please check Tive's suggestion. Maybe it would be a worthy enhancement to currently used tools?

Draugor - I completely don't believe you would be as strict to your friends as to Irk. Besides - Straag ain't an ogre last I checked ;p

Straag - I completely agree with you on Draugor's decisions ;p

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 28 Aug 2012 23:01

I will not be making any bot-busting wizards. Thanks for the enthusiasm, though, Draugor. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 23:19

Laurel wrote:Gorboth - I completely agree with you on that one, however please check Tive's suggestion. Maybe it would be a worthy enhancement to currently used tools?

Draugor - I completely don't believe you would be as strict to your friends as to Irk. Besides - Straag ain't an ogre last I checked ;p

Straag - I completely agree with you on Draugor's decisions ;p

You forget one thing Laurel, I hate more or less everyone :P Yes, I would check Irk ALOT as I know hes a notorious botter, and almost brags about it on the forums, wich I still maintain should be used as proof to delete his ass. But I would have NO problem whatsoever to delete... lets say Sergion, whom is a close RL friend of mine if he repeatedly botted unattended.

I have no idea what guild Straag is in, he was an ogre sometime, that much I do know. Bots on the other hand should be either deleted or given an island where they can frollic and bot around having no contact with the rest of the game, wont have a real inpact tho aside from that players that are actually attentive and PLAYING the game will be able to do so without some asshat starting a script, going to work and fucking your grinding up while not even at the comp.

So yes Laurel, I am trying to mess your bot XP up here, and I will not stop, every time I see Irk in a grinding area, I will report him, if given permission I will plex him and destroy his armours (wich he prolly gets on a script aswell) sadly I do not have such a permission. We need players, not bots, bots means we get another number on the who list, sadly its a number that means nothing since its not an actual interacting player, just a cheater.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 23:19

gorboth wrote:I will not be making any bot-busting wizards. Thanks for the enthusiasm, though, Draugor. ;-)

G.

Aaaw cmon :P Ya wuss :)

We need em and you know it ;)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 28 Aug 2012 23:32

Draugor wrote:
gorboth wrote:I will not be making any bot-busting wizards. Thanks for the enthusiasm, though, Draugor. ;-)

G.

Aaaw cmon :P Ya wuss :)

We need em and you know it ;)
If the <combatshare> became a reality, would we? It would allow you to legally grief botters by running ahead of them and attacking everything before they did. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 23:34

Also, the bots could do the same thing. Tag whole camps to secure xp...
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 28 Aug 2012 23:37

I don't like it. You are supposed to be able to be an idiot. Stealing a kill from an enemy and looting the eq from said enemy is a way of building up tension between you and that enemy. We have to be able to steal kill and act like assholes.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 23:46

arcon wrote:I don't like it. You are supposed to be able to be an idiot. Stealing a kill from an enemy and looting the eq from said enemy is a way of building up tension between you and that enemy. We have to be able to steal kill and act like assholes.

Botting aint acting like an asshole, its acting like an asshole gaining XP while not actually playing the game. I dont mind if they dont respond to ME, but when a wizard asks? Better answer, if you dont answer for 10 minutes and your char still runs around... delete the bastard, hes stealing kills from actual players

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 23:50

I think deleting players is a poor solution, particulary in a game with small playerbase. Removing a week's worth of combatxp if caught could be a milder solution, then two weeks, four etc.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/