I'll kick your bot!

All Genesis Common Board Messages get directed here. Discuss and comment!
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Draugor
Myth

Re: I'll kick your bot!

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 20:32

Kas wrote:I was contemplating a similar item you put on players.

What if such an item simply stopped you from moving anywhere while slowly draining away your health until death? Once placed, a player could easily identify and remove the 'lock' by a random phrase visible on the item in his/her inventory (every thick of dropping health would remind the player about the antibot item in his/her inventory, and how to unlock it).

Or something similar.

2cc

The problem is that its way to easy to make a trigger that identifies the word and utters it. Or where you planning to make it in huge letters drawn with lines etc? That could work

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 20:44

More like, the one triggering the item could set the word. <suspect kas for botting, 'KaSisbaad-cushe_Botsandkillsmynpcs'>, kinda thing.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 20:49

Kas wrote:More like, the one triggering the item could set the word. <suspect kas for botting, 'KaSisbaad-cushe_Botsandkillsmynpcs'>, kinda thing.

Problem is that in for example CMud you can make triggers that copies whatever it says on certain areas

pattern = To determine that you're there type %0

command = %0

And you type that command

If I recall thats how they look. Makes it paste exactly that

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 28 Aug 2012 20:52

You really need to forbid script moving/killing else its pretty much impossible to identify a bot and 'reveal' him/her.
No matter what system you use any half-brained person can counter it. Shooting a tell to someone midfight is not
a serious system. To see someone vacuum about an area solo killing everything on a script IS allowed, you dont have
to talk to others or interact. You can be an ass and take their kills while giving them that imaginary one-finger greeting.

Those that got caught now probably did their botting so openly it was stupid. I ran my scripts but pretty much always sat
at the computer doing something while it ran. In others eyes I was a bot, but the guy who ran behind someone on triggers
while mashing away in some chat was not?

About trigger words for bot suspection, no such way work as most who run bots are actually at the screen playing or watching
something else. Just set an alarm for it and you are un-botted. You also can't make it so hard that someone who is not running
unattentive may miss or fail a test. As example I'm one of those that have a hard time see ascii figures with the current font
I use (wingdings :P ), that genesis bot testing machine actually got me puzzled and once i figured out what to do the timer for
first number sequence had run out after me fail-guessing once or twice.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 20:59

Can you make a trigger if you split the keyphrase into several bits and put them in a random place in a mesh of numbers?

keyword = 'draugorlovessauron' into

desc of item:

blablablabla, with an inscription labeled :458934394812985draugo4589345rlov4345
5453essau548985ron54940330945589439

Could that work?

The numbers, where the bits of the keyword is, and the lenght would be randomized, even
how many splits of the word.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 28 Aug 2012 21:04

So how are those who are not bots supposed to figure the keyphrase out?
I may as well sedn you a question.

How many socks does Gorboth have in his laundry?

Failure to deliver right answer result in deletion!!

Edit: Yes I can make a trigger that removes all numbers revealing only letters.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 21:08

The keyphrase is visible to them on the item as shown above. Simply combine the words in the mesh into a single word and you are unlocked. There may be more adequate ways to do it, but you get the general idea.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 28 Aug 2012 22:18

What OgreToyBoy is stating is pretty important, but I am not sure what to do about it. He is stating that all you have to do to not get punished is be reasonably attentive and respond if a wizard asks you to confirm you are watching the screen. However, all the meanwhile you can let your scripts run and basically be a bot that wakes up only for wizards, but continues to do exactly what we all hate about bots for all other intents and purposes.

The issue for me as an Administrator is that it is not possible to actually police and enforce the use of scripts. What we could do is try to isolate the actual issues we have with botting and try to make these things impossible. For example:

Stealing kills is a big problem. So what if we introduced a mechanic that once an npc is attacked, it cannot be attacked while it remains in combat by anyone other than the player who started the fight or anyone on their team. It might look like this:

Code: Select all

A large open field in the Shire. You see mountains in the west and a stream to the north.

Obvious exits: west, north, east.
A lanky wolf and Draugor are fighting eachother.

> kill wolf
The wolf is already in combat with Draugor, so you'll have to wait to see if you're welcome to join in.
Draugor signals for you to join in the fight.
You attack the lanky wolf!
Draugor would see:

Code: Select all

The lanky wolf swipes at your knee with its right claw, but misses.
You batter the lanky wolf with your maul.
Gorboth arrives.
The lanky wolf snaps at your head with its jaws, but misses.
Gorboth looks like he wants to join the fight. You can <combatshare> to allow this.
> combatshare gorboth
You signal for Gorboth to join in the fight.
Gorboth attacks the lanky wolf!
Thoughts? Issues?

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Aug 2012 22:22

Actually, botting as so that you are attentive is not an offence, the offence is when you dont reply to wizards taht are checking you etc. Mortals sure, but that will get you more wizard attention than you want.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 28 Aug 2012 22:23

Looks fine to me. The mmo variant usually gives the xp to the one that tagged it first, so if someone is trying to stealkill your mob, he may attack, but gains no xp or loot privilieges from the kill.

Though, this version is neat too, and the bots moves on.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/